Monday, August 18, 2008

Zombie! vs. Mardi Gras

I don't know if anybody has even heard of this film...but I'm trying to find a website that has videos from the film...or at least movie stills.

I know that I've seen a movie still somewhere, and in the back of my mind, way, way, way back in my mind, I think that I've seen more than one. I know I've the two posters for it, but something tells me I know more than I think I do about this film. Everytime I see the face on the front of that video box, deja vu happens. It's like reincarnation really IS true, and in a previous life (or alternate life) I've seen the movie. Creepy, but interesting. It seems (again in the very kaboose of my brain) that I really have seen Zombie! vs. Mardi Gras. Like I really have seen a film in which Galileo and a very fat ninja resembling Chris Farley are released from purgatory. I know I haven't, but it seems like I have...

There is only one copy on amazon.com. I hope no one buys it. For two reasons: (1) A friend and I are planning a sequel so I need to watch it. (2) That ever-nagging feeling in the back of my head. Like I watched it before, but only erased it from my brain 98%, and that 2% is coming back to haunt me. Some blurred image from my conscience involving a disfigured man keeps popping up on me.

Weird feeling...

For those of you who don't know (then again, who would) Zombie! vs. Mardi Gras is an underground horror "film" shot between the years of 1992 and 1994 and released into VERY limited theatrical release in August 1999. The "film" (which made an astonishing $978 in theaters) was then released onto videotape (and the then-outdated laserdisc) ten days later where it made an adjective-less $8. In April 2001 at the Two Boots Film Festival in NYC (I've never heard of it either, perhaps because it shut down after showing this film), they had a screening of Zombie! vs. Mardi Gras. Reports are that the film was met with an audience of ten and at the end nobody remained in the theater. In April 2006, it was for some idiotic reason released on DVD. I don't know why. Nobody purchased it...as in not one human being in America bought this film on DVD. It is widely known as the worst film ever professionally produced, along side "Okrah: The Killer Mutant Plant from Outer Space!" and "Cut Up". Yes, both those films are real, despite what you will not find on iMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, Google, or Ask. Don't ask me how I know this.

And yet, there is a $22 VHS on amazon.com. It's lucky that I'm, what, the ONLY person who even has a working VHS player. When (yes, WHEN) I buy this film, I will be writing a review of it. Then my friend and I can have a heyday making said sequel.

2 comments:

MechaValis said...

I can get you a dvd of it....They've sold THOUSANDS by the way

MechaValis said...

You never bought it OR made a sequel.