Friday, December 12, 2008

On the Golden Globe Nominations

This year's Golden Globe Nominations are more exciting than disappointing (for me, at least). This'll be something that's talked about endlessly in the media for about a month after the show's already been televised. There are some snubs--gotta expect that with the HFPA--but a lot of these are surprises and delights.

The Best Dramatic Picture category has a lot of non-surprises, but the snub for the buzz-filled "The Dark Knight" is surprising to say the least. No surprise for nominees "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (which I predict will take the gold) and "Revolutionary Road." What is surprising is the shutout of "Milk" from the lineup; once I see it on Monday, I'll tell you what I think about the snub. "Slumdog Millionaire" is the dark horse here, no matter how good it is. I expect it to take something home, but what that will be has yet to be determined in my mind. "The Reader" is an odd choice to me; there's really no substantial buzz.

As for the comedies and the lone musical in the group, there's only one movie that has the power to take home the gold: "Burn after Reading." Yes, I know that "Happy-Go-Lucky" has been widely acclaimed, and that "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" has been called Woody Allen's best in 10 years. On the other end of the spectrum, "In Bruges" wasn't expected--at all--and "Mamma Mia!" seems to be on here because it made money. But the HFPA love the Coens (forgiving their awful snub of "No Country for Old Men" last year) and "Burn after Reading" has enough buzz to win the award. But that's me, and I haven't yet seen it.

The acting in the drama categories are basically givens in themselves. Sean Penn will win for "Milk," and Anne Hathaway will win for "Rachel Getting Married." The only ones who could take it away from them (but won't) are, respectively, Mickey Rourke for "The Wrestler" and Kristin Scott-Thomas for the highly acclaimed French drama "I've Loved You So Long."

The comedy actors are stranger and harder to predict. "In Bruges" has two nominees here, but neither of them will win. I think the winner here is James Franco as the pothead sidekick in "Pineapple Express." The actresses...that's a toss-up, but I think Sally Hawkins might get it for the title description in "Happy-Go-Lucky."

We all know that Heath's gonna win for "The Dark Knight" (the only nomination it received), but I think it's super that Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr. were nominated for their roles in "Tropic Thunder." PSH was nominated for the theater adaptation "Doubt," which I will hopefully see on Sunday evening. The odd man out here is Voldemort (aka Ralph Fiennes) for "The Duchess"; I am shocked he didn't get one for "In Bruges" here, as he was called the best in the film by a lot of people. And I think it's a given that Penelope Cruz will win Supporting Actress for "Vicky Cristina Barcelona."

Just as "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" will win drama picture, so will David Fincher win for director. And as "WALL-E" is the only one that could win animated film, that's a given; it'll also win screenplay. The acclaimed mob drama "Gomorrah" will take home the gold for foreign film. The score for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is brilliant (I've heard some of it), and the title song of "The Wrestler" is beautiful.

That's it for now. No getting into the TV nominations right now.

No comments: